Image Map

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dressing Classy for Classes


So I think a question that lot of college students want to know is: "What exactly should I wear to class?" I think a lot of people get confused on what to wear because of freshman orientation. Generally at freshman orientation someone at some point will say something like, “Now make sure that you don’t wear pajamas to class because it looks bad to your teachers. You need to wear nice decent clothes all the time.” But from there that leaves us to decide our personal definition of “nice decent clothes”. So I wanted to share my personal opinion of what to wear to class based on what I have experienced from what people wear at my college (and by things that I have worn).


THE BIG WHAT NOT TO WEAR: PAJAMAS (By pajamas I literally mean anything that looks like lingerie, cartoon printed pants, footy pajamas, ect.) They make you look sloppy and unprepared, and they can even make it hard for you to focus because you are TOO comfortable. Professors love to pick out the student who wear pajamas to answer questions because they are generally the less prepared, not focused students, and they are also more likely to fall asleep in class. 
Bottom Line: NO PAJAMAS.

What to Wear Instead: Yoga Pants with a tank top and sweatshirt, also sometimes sweat pants(this depends on the pants, there are so many nicer looking options nowadays that sometimes sweatpants are a viable option). Yoga Pants are acceptable classroom wear, but I would stick with just basic black ones and then pair it with a tank top and a sweatshirt, or a t-shirt. Sweatshirts are a good choice, especially during the winter (because it’s cold), but also all of the time because class rooms are generally freezing. Sweat pants and a t-shirt are also acceptable most of the time, as long as you look decent, not sloppy, and don't look like you literally just rolled out of bed.

I wanted to focus mainly on Pajamas because they seem to be one of the biggest things not to wear. Then I decided to make this nifty little chart here to show you some comparisons on what is appropriate vs. what is not.

WHAT TO WEAR
WHAT NOT TO WEAR
Jeans
Leggings as Pants (Unless you legitimately think you can pull them off)
Shorts (of an appropriate length)
Pajamas
T-shirts
Shirts with holes in them
Tennis Shoes, Boots, Flip flops, ect.
(almost any shoe is appropriate besides heels)
No shoes (Please wear shoes…PLEASE.)
Business Casual Dress
(Polo’s, khakis, blouses, ect.)
Any dress that might be worn for a night out, a prom dress, or to the club
Yoga Pants, Sweat pants
Heels (Unless you absolutely must, and if you do be smart and take a pair of flats)
Jackets, Sweatshirts, Cardigans
Crop tops (Without a tank underneath)
College themed gear
High school themed gear (Dear freshman, this means NO LETTERMAN JACKETS.)


 And now some pictures of college appropriate dress, for inspiration and reference!
A great outfit for those days when you want to dress comfy but not look like you just rolled out of bed. Original Photo Victoria's Secret

A great simple outfit for a cold school day. Original Photo here

 This would be a great spring outfit for school! Original photo here
 
I think this Lilly Pulitzer popover would be great to wear when its just a little chilly out.
Original photo here

And then every girl should have a great statement hoodie that will get some laughs, but keep you warm. Original photo here. It's also great to have a watch so that you can always get to class on time. I'm loving this turquoise one from Modcloth. Original photo here.

Do you have a favorite item or go to outfit for class? Leave me a comment and tell me about it!
 photo MSSignaturePM_zpsae66abe2.png

5 comments:

  1. These are great tips Ashley! :) I can't imagine someone wearing pajamas to school though. Haha! Im just glad my school has a uniform. If not, I would get a headache everyday thinking about what to wear first thing in the morning.

    I found you via Her Campus by the way! :))
    xo, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My high school had uniforms, and though it made it easy to pick out clothes I would still rather have the freedom to choose what to wear. The only problem is some people think pajamas are great every day clothes, haha.

      Delete
  2. Great chart! When I was in college, I was always so surprised by how many people I saw wearing pajamas - gross! Great tips :)

    xo Megan, Lush to Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the grossest was about shoes, someone at my junior college actually didn't bother to wear shoes to class. YECH.

      Delete
  3. Such a great post! I'm going back to university Next month and that spring outfit is my first day outfit! Thank you for this! Saves me looking through polyvore for inspiration hehe

    Anna Czarina

    ReplyDelete

Check it Out!

Link Within